Twice Removed Series 3 Episode 2
Naomi Clifford, history writer and journalist, joins me to discuss life at home during the Blitz.
From food, to volunteering to entertainment, Naomi delves into the lives of those that lived through the Blitz. To what extent has the Blitz spirit been mythologised? How did experiences vary depending on your wealth, or lack of it? What do the diaries of those that lived through the Blitz reveal about life during this era?
Watch Naomi Clifford discuss WW2: Blitz Diaries
Listen to WW2: Blitz Diaries
WW2: Blitz Diaries
You can listen to all series and episodes of Twice Removed on the podcast (of the same name), available on Apple, Stitcher, Spotify and more.
A Spotlight on Naomi Clifford
Naomi Clifford is a history writer and journalist. She has four books under her belt, and another, Under Fire, to be published in a couple of weeks. All of them have relied on genealogical research supplemented by archival work and the digging out of many many rabbit holes.
Under Fire, which will be published on 7 September by Caret Press, is an exploration of the diaries of June Spencer, a debutante and dress designer, who volunteered for the London Auxiliary Ambulance Service in 1940. She lived in Chelsea – in a crumbling old mansion – it has since been done up and Mick Jagger and Roman Abramovich are among its recent residents. Back then it was stuffed full of young people working on the home front or waiting to join the military.
- For an interactive map showing where bombs dropped in London during the Blitz see here.
- For info on rationing in Britain see here.
- Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society
- Pig Clubs
- For info on the protest at The Savoy see here.
- Recipe for Lord Woolton’s Pie
- For info on the uniform, insignia and equipment used in Civil Defence (including the Auxiliary Ambulance) see here.
- For more info on women in the RAF see here.
- For info on the Land Army see here.
- Enjoy this podcast on the Battle of Britain.
More #TwiceRemoved Episodes
If you want to ensure you never miss #TwiceRemoved or a blog post then please join The Curious Descendants using the form below. You’ll get family history news every week, history nuggets and more!
Join The Curious Descendants!
If you enjoyed this then you’ll LOVE my Curious Descendants emails. I send daily emails packed with genealogy tips, ideas and stories. Plus a weekly roundup ensuring you’ll never miss one of my articles (or an episode of #TwiceRemoved) ever again.